The Hancock County Attorney is the legal representative for Hancock County. The County Attorney is elected to a four-year term to serve as the county's legal advisor and chief law enforcement officer.
- Prosecutes all indictable crimes such as murder, theft, kidnapping, robbery, burglary, sexual abuse, assault, arson, operating while intoxicated and many others.
- Prosecutes non-indictable offenses such as traffic violations, simple assaults and thefts.
- Represents the state in juvenile court including delinquency proceedings and children in need of assistance actions.
- Represents the county in civil legal matters such as lawsuits and workers compensation claims.
- Counsels and gives legal advice to the Board of Supervisors and county and township officers concerning county matters.
- Advises the police twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week and provides legal training to law enforcement and other agencies.
We take pride in representing the people of Hancock County in a professional and competent manner.
The County Attorney, in their official capacity, does not:
- Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons.
- File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage.
- Prepare wills, deeds or other legal documents for private individuals.
855 State Street
P.O. Box 70
Garner, Iowa 50438
8 a.m. to noon, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.